Friday 28 May 2010

At Walton Heath, Morrison wins U.S. Open qualifier


At Walton Heath James Morrison won a sectional U.S. open qualifier on Monday, earning his first trip to a major championship. Morrison finished at 11-under par, won the qualifier by two shots and will head to Pebble Beach June 17, 2010 for the PGA Tour's second major championship. Said Morrison "I`m really looking forward to it". "I've only ever seen Pebble Beach on the television and it looks unbelievable. So I can't wait. It's been a great season already - it's been a bit unexpected, but I'm learning and growing in confidence all the time. I'm starting to feel much more comfortable out here now, and that shows in my results." Morrison won this year's Madeira Islands Open on the European Tour. Argentina's Rafael Echenique came in second, followed by England's Gary Boyd, Spain's Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Rhys Davies of Wales and Northern Ireland's Gareth Maybin. A six-man playoff for the final five spots took place with Gregory Havret, Mikko Ilonen, Rikard Karlberg, Jean-Francois Lucquin and Pablo Martin earning places in the U.S. Open field. The loser of the playoff was BMW PGA Championship winner Simon Khan. "I had a few legless shots this afternoon," said Khan. "Swing-wise I'm delighted with how I played, but I couldn't focus on the greens."

No comments:

Post a Comment